Welcome to fifth grade ELA! I am looking forward to teaching your child this school year. If you have any questions for concerns please feel free to call or email me at email@example.com
I was born and raised in New York,but have lived in the south for the last ten plus years. I have been teaching for 15 years. I have taught students in grades K-12 in five different states. We love living in Southwest Louisiana where my husband was born and raised. We enjoy the outdoors,traveling, LSU football and spending time with our family. Together we have four children,three girls and one boy.
Grade 5 ELA
- Students will be taught standards through direct instruction and daily oral language activities.
- I will teach students a mini lesson. Students will take notes in their notebooks. Students will sometimes work with a partner, small group, and/or independently to practice the new skill. On the tests, students will be asked to apply what they have learned using a variety of testing taking methods.
- Spelling will not be emphasized as much in fifth grade as it has been in the lower grades. The focus will be on vocabulary, words they will see on their Leap Test and context clues rather than traditional spelling. Students will take a quiz on the words biweekly. I will give plenty of notice for upcoming quizzes. This quiz will be counted as a handwriting grade as well.
Star Test/Reading AR books:
- The Star Test is an assessment given to students at the beginning of the year to determine their reading range. Students will select books within their range until the next testing date. Students will have a paper in their AR folders that shows their reading range and AR goals for this nine weeks. Please keep in mind that their goals will be checked mid-nine weeks to make sure it is an achievable goal and adjustments may be made at this time. Please note that I will re-test students periodically throughout the year to note any improvement in the child’s reading level.
- Students are required to keep reading log. The reading log will be kept in the student’s AR folder. Parents are expected to sign the reading log each night to indicate their child has read for the required 20 minutes. This will be helpful for both the student and the parents/guardians to make sure your child is keeping up with their reading responsibilities. Students are allowed to take tests before school starts and also during other scheduled times.
- Please feel free to add your childs class by downloading the Remind application and entering @Jcormie. I send messages weekly about home fun and other important information